1871 Business Incubator, Chicago, 60654
By: StartupCity #Chicago
On June 17, 2015 at 6:30 p.m., BreakingVoices.com livestreamed “Early-Stage Investment 101”, the second of Hyde Park Angel’s Entrepreneurial Educational Series panel from 1871, the technology incubator in the Merchandise Mart.
The panelists on this second program were Aashish Dalal, Co-Founder and CEO of ParkWhiz; Ira Weiss, General Partner of Hyde Park Venture Partners and Professor of Accounting and Entrepreneurship at University of Chicago Booth School of Business; Sach Chitnis, Managing Director of Jump Capital; Desiree Vargas Wrigley, Co-Founder and Chief Strategy Officer of Give Forward; and Rishi Shah, Founder and CEO of ContextMedia.
The panel introduced entrepreneurs to options for funding other than investment.
Some of the topics discussed by panelists include:
- Recognizing when to raise your first round
- Identifying whether raising is the best option
- Differentiating between funding stages (seed, Series A, etc.)
- Finding the key deal points to negotiate
- Explaining how convertible debt stacks up against equity
- Knowing who the right investors are and how to find them
- Timing the investment cycle correctly
- “Reading” a venture capitalist
- Defining the mechanics of closing a round (deal leads, legal best practices, board seats, etc.)Watch the first Hyde Park Angel’s Engrepreneurial Education Series Part 1 “Are You Ready to Raise?” video.
The Entrepreneurial Education Series feaures four panels, consisting of top entrepreneurs in the Midwest. The dates of the entire series are:
- Are you Ready to Raise? Thursday, March 5 6p – 8p
- Early-Stage Investment 101 Wednesday, June 17 6p – 8p
- Connecting Corporations and Startups Thursday, September 24 6p – 8p
- How to Work with your Advisors, Board Members, and Investors Thursday November 12 6p – 8p
Managing Director Pete Wilkins said, “we’re bringing some of the best minds in entrepreneurship and investment– people who’ve already achieved incredible success in both areas– together.”